~ "By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." ~ "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" ~ "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." ~ "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."~

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blueberry Crumb Muffins


Blueberry Crumb Muffins... I really like blueberry muffins. I will usually reach for a blueberry muffin over any other muffin. So when I came across this recipe on Allrecipes, I knew I wanted to make it. The recipe had really high reviews. Reviewers were raving about the muffins as being the BEST! I have also seen the recipe on numerous blogs and in a recent cookbook....with all sorts of variations.
I had just bought some fresh blueberries. I was meaning to eat them fresh... as a snack. But I really wanted to try the recipe, and so I used some of the blueberries to make these muffins:). We really, really liked the muffins...especially with the crumb topping. I think it's the crumb topping that gives the muffins a bakery-like taste... and what makes the muffin. This recipe comes together rather quickly. You can easily whip it up for a wonderful breakfast treat. If you would like, you can easily exchange the blueberries with different fruits... try some chopped apple, strawberries, raspberries, etc. I think you can also add some nuts as well. You can even try adding some ground oatmeal to the crumb topping. In any case, this is a great basic recipe for a ton of variations.
When I mix my muffins, I like to incorporate the dry and the wet ingredients halfway... but not mixing it completely. I then add the blueberries and continue to fold until the batter just comes together. By doing this, I don't overmix the batter. It is also important not to overbake the muffins as they can dry out. I like to freeze my muffins(after eating one warm:))...just because the flavors get even more pronounced and I can always make them ahead.... it also keeps them quite moist. I am posting this recipe just in case you would like to try it. I'll be making these again....for sure. It is a great find and I am hoping you will agree:). Hope you enjoy...

You will need: makes 12 muffins~ adapted from Allrecipes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp almond extract( or vanilla)
1 cup fresh blueberries
lemon peel(optional)
Crumb Topping: This will make enough for almost a double batch. You will have some leftover if doing only 12 muffins...just freeze it for another time~ or you can just halve the ingredients.
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 deg. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup liquid measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to make 1 cup. Mix until blended and add to flour mixture. Mix until halfway combined. Fold in blueberries and mix until the batter just comes together.
Try not to overmix.
Fill muffin cups and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. If you only make 12 muffins you will probably have some leftover. I did.
To Make Crumb Topping:
Mix together sugar, flour, butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done. Mine only took about 20 minutes.... do try not to overbake as the muffins will dry out. Do check them at the 18 minute mark and go from there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks so super yummy, way better than my sandwich I had for breakfast.

Unknown said...

I love your recipies.
But I always wanted to know, which camera you use to photograph the meals.
Greetings,
Yumi

Ellie said...

Yumi, I am so glad you like the recipes...as for the photos, I use a simple point and shoot camera...check out the FAQS section of the blog. I am not a photographer and have never taken any photo classes... but I have always loved photography. I do strive to take "appealing" photos as much as I can. I always use natural light and most always use the macro option of the camera.
Thank you for stopping by...I really appreciate it.
Have a great day~Ellie


Jennifurla,
Thanks...that is sweet of you:)...